!!> Read ➮ Death in Her Hands ➲ Author Ottessa Moshfegh – Lorecordings.co.uk

Death in Her Hands A Novel Of Haunting Metaphysical Suspense About An Elderly Widow Whose Life Is Upturned When She Finds A Cryptic Note On A Walk In The Woods That Ultimately Makes Her Question Everything About Her New Home While On Her Normal Daily Walk With Her Dog In The Forest Woods, Our Protagonist Comes Across A Note, Handwritten And Carefully Pinned To The Ground With A Frame Of Stones Her Name Was Magda Nobody Will Ever Know Who Killed Her It Wasn T Me Here Is Her Dead Body Our Narrator Is Deeply Shaken She Has No Idea What To Make Of This She Is New To Area, Having Moved Her From Her Longtime Home After The Death Of Her Husband, And She Knows Very Few People And She S A Little Shaky Even On Best Days Her Brooding About This Note Quickly Grows Into A Full Blown Obsession, And She Begins To Devote Herself To Exploring The Possibilities Of Her Conjectures About Who This Woman Was And How She Met Her Fate Her Suppositions Begin To Find Echoes In The Real World, And With Mounting Excitement And Dread, The Fog Of Mystery Starts To Form Into A Concrete And Menacing Shape But As We Follow Her In Her Investigation, Strange Dissonances Start To Accrue, And Our Faith In Her Grip On Reality Weakens, Until Finally, Just As She Seems Be Facing Some Of The Darkness In Her Own Past With Her Late Husband, We Are Forced To Face The Prospect That There Is Either A Innocent Explanation For All This Or A Much Sinister One One That Strikes Closer To HomeA Triumphant Blend Of Horror, Suspense, And Pitch Black Comedy, Death In Her Hands Asks Us To Consider How The Stories We Tell Ourselves Both Guide Us Closer To The Truth And Keep Us At Bay From It Once Again, We Are In The Hands Of A Narrator Whose Unreliability Is Well Earned, Only This Time The Stakes Have Never Been Higher

About the Author: Ottessa Moshfegh

Ottessa Moshfegh is a fiction writer from New England Her first book, McGlue, a novella, won the Fence Modern Prize in Prose and the Believer Book Award She is also the author of the short story collection Homesick for Another World. Her stories have been published in The Paris Review, The New Yorker, and Granta, and have earned her a Pushcart Prize, an O Henry Award, the Plimpton Discovery

10 thoughts on “Death in Her Hands

1. says:

I have to be honest here and admit that I just didn t get this book Ottessa Moshfegh is so insanely talented as a writer but this book was utterly pointless We have a 72 year old woman a widow that lives in almost complete solitude with her dog, Charlie, in a cabin on a

2. says:

Ottessa Moshfegh has written a twisted, genre bending detective story Her protagonist Vesta Gul is a 72 year old widow who lives in a remote former girl scout camp with her dog Charlie But mind you, Vesta is no Miss Marple or Jessica Fletcher rather, it becomes very clear earl

3. says:

Oh, the terrible wonders of the mind Death in Her Hands is a dark layered novel that lulls the reader into the crumbling psyche of an incredibly lonely depressed protagonist, desperately trying to free her mind expunge the painful memories that she tries to bury within a labyrinth of

4. says:

3.5 Initially, I thought Ottessa Moshfegh was toning down her usual style with what seems like a deliberately bland narrative voice Vesta is a widow in her seventies who s recently moved to a lakeside cabin in non specific small town America One morning, while taking her beloved dog Charlie

5. says:

REVIEW TO COME

6. says:

Oy veyI read Eileen years ago and didn t like it, but then I picked up My Year of Rest and Relaxation last year and LOVED it So, I was wary but excited to receive Death in Her Hands as an ARC.I didn t enjoy it, at all It was one long stream of consciousness of an old and lonely lady making up stories and

7. says:

I was elated to discover we have a new Ottessa novel coming this spring I may have an author crush on her I d read a grocery store list if she wrote it I feel like most of her stories have an essence of other authors Eileen was very Shirley JacksonRest and Relaxation was Chuck PalahniukDeath in Her Hands is a c

8. says:

A meandering, inane plot that goes nowhere, a pet murder, and one of the most unlikable protagonists I ve ever encountered Moshfegh writes SO beautifully that is seems like it should be impossible for any of her work to have such poor results, yet here we are I loved My Year of Rest and Relaxation It made me think Mos

9. says:

Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for a copy of this novel.Ottessa Moshfegh novels all seems quite different to each other and this is no exception While I enjoy Moshfegh s writing style and flew through this book, overall I neither hated it or loved it The novel consists of a rambling stream of consciousness of the

10. says:

It s a rather dark, damning way to begin a story the pronouncement of a mystery whose investigation is futile Nobody will ever know who killed her The story is over just as it s begun The note certainly didn t promise any happy ending So, what s with the synchronicities between this and Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of th